D E C O N S U M P T I O N / REDISTRIBUTION
eidia MANIFESTO II 2009
1) THE MOST SUCCESSFUL eidia WORKS EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE OF AN ART LESS IMPACTFUL TO THE ENVIRONMENT.
2) IT IS NOT A QUESTION OF WHAT IS ART. IT IS A QUESTION OF WHAT IS NOT ART.
3) IF I SEE ART IN EVERYTHING, HOW CAN EVERYTHING NOT BE ART? ART IS LIKE GOD; IT IS IN THE MIND OF THE BEHOLDER.
4) ONE eidia WORK OF ART CAN BE GREATER THAN ANOTHER. THE INTERNAL DIALOGUE OF THE VIEWER DETERMINES A SUCCESSFUL ARTWORK. IN OTHER WORDS, THE MEANING OF A WORK OF ART FOR THE MAKER MAY DIFFER SUBSTANTIALLY FROM THAT OF THE VIEWER.
5) ART IS MADE VALID THROUGH ITS REALIZATION, NOT NECESSARILY BY ITS PUBLIC SUCCESS. AN ARTIST WILL MAKE MANY DISSIMILAR TYPES OF ART THROUGHOUT HIS/HER CAREER, FOR MANY DIFFERING REASONS. THE CRUX OF THE PROCESS IS NOT THE STYLISTIC SAMENESS OF THE ART CREATED, BUT THE DIFFERENCE.
6) IF AN eidia WORK DOES NOT CONFRONT, CONFUSE OR CONFOUND—THE ART AND eidia FAILS.
7) AS MELISSA AND I WORK UNDER THE NAME eidia, IT IS WITHIN THESE TERMS OF COLLABORATION THAT WE ALSO ACCEPT WORKING WITH OTHERS.
8) AS AN ACRONYM AND HYPERBOLE eidia IS A VERY SERIOUS JOKE. FOR EXAMPLE: Everything Including Death Is Art. (SEE eidia MANIFESTO, 1978.)
About the artists
Paul Lamarre and Melissa P. Wolf have collaborated under the title EIDIA, since 1986. EIDIA (pronounced idea) is derived from the ancient Greek word eidos meaning idea. EIDIA is an acronym and hyperbole with many possible meanings, from Ecological Involvement Demands Immediate Action, to Every Individual Does Individual Art, to Everything I Do Is Art.
(If you are an artist, writer, curator, architect, designer, or scholar, who is interested in information about such works and or how you may be involved, you can visit eidia.com, email to: email@example.com.)
EIDIA HOUSE Studio
PO Box 11